This is one of the most intimidating exercises for women (and perhaps men, too? Nah, for them it’s probably hip thrusts 😜). Why? Because it feels like there is a lot of technique to apply and it even LOOKS scary, no?? But let me tell you – once you get the hang of it, you’ll fall in love with it because it makes you feel so powerful and strong! At least that is what has happened to me and now I will help you through the steps so that you can conquer this exercise and reap all those endorphins too 🥰 So I bring you – How To: Bench Press!
Training chest is great for posture, overall upper-body strength, keeping our ladies perky🍈🍈 and it’s actually FUN!! Feeling powerful is an amazing feeling! Bench pressing is therefore a fantastic compound exercise you should add to your routine straight away.
They used to intimidate me too, I’ve now learned proper form and I look forward to my chest day every week now!!
(Short version can be found further down 😜)
Here’s How To: Bench Press!
1. Do NOT use weight stops unless you have someone with you! Without them, you can lower one arm and push the other up and the weights will slide off if you fail a lift! SAVED! ✌️
2. Check the bench height, you should be able to set your heels on the floor. If you can’t, add weight plates to place your feet on.
3. Back muscles need to be engaged for a stable, powerful & injury-free lift! Push shoulders back and down to activate the back muscles. Re-check this when you lay down!
4. Lay down & make sure the bar is right above your eyes 👀
5. Place hands where comfortable & you feel strong – usually about 1-2 hands away from your shoulders. Closer together = more triceps, further away = less range of motion.
6. Set your feet firmly on the floor & push from your heels during the lift!
7. Your butt should stay on the bench to keep your back supported (yes, it’s common that ppl don’t 🙈 but try NOT to start this bad habit!).
8. Check & activate back and activate core through your breath! Arching is NOT necessary. This will only give you less range of motion.
9. Grab the bar, take a deep breath, and lift the bar so your arms are straight up!
10. Lower slow & controlled, tap the bar to the highest point of your chest! 🏔️
11. PUSH the bar & imagine going through the ROOF!! 💪
REPEAT & ENJOY! 😍
TLDR; MAIN FOCUS – Push feet into floor, engage big back muscles, activate core, and imagine pushing the bar through the roof!
Now tell me, will you try them now?! 🤩🙌
Much love, strength & happiness,