PROTEINS 🍗 do you know they’re important? Do you know HOW important they are? And are you eating enough of them DAILY? Here are my tips and tricks ✨. Click through the slides above or check out the points below to find out what you NEED to know about proteins!
What are they?
Proteins are the building blocks of our body.
They’re separated into essential & non-essential. 9 of the essential can only be obtained through our diet.
What are they good for?
They not only build our muscles, but also our skin, hair, nails, organs, even hormones & so much more.
They pretty much:
- Help rebuild our muscles
- Tend to be the most filling macronutrient, keeping us full for fewer calories
- Have the highest Thermic Effect of Food (TEF); how much energy our body use to digest
Are you getting enough of them?
How much depends on our goals! But the recommended basic amount for an adult is 0.8 grams per total weight (in kg) per day.
However, to build muscle the recommendation is about 1.6 g/kg/day.
If we are in a caloric deficit but don’t want to lose weight, it is even more important to eat the right amount of protein! Otherwise, our body will take the energy it needs from our muscles.
How can I up my intake?
A few suggestions to add to your meals!
- Lean meats (beef, pork, chicken, turkey, wild game)
- Fish & shellfish (salmon, cod, tuna, shrimp)
- Dairy (yoghurt, milk, cottage cheese)
- Legumes (beans, chickpeas, lentils, peas)
- Nuts & Seeds (peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds)
- Soy beans & products (tofu, quorn, seitan, tempeh)
Before I did my PT course I really never thought much about them, but now I build my meals around my proteins and they truly help me feel good, achieve my goals and to feel full for a long time 🥰. One of my favorites is greek yoghurt since I use it for SO much! So so good!
To get more tips & tricks on how to add fibers and other nutrition, then make sure to check out the NUTRITIOUS FOODS – A GUIDE TO INGREDIENTS post.
Do you feel that you eat proteins daily & which are your favorites?
Much love, strength & joy,